What causes halitosis?
Halitosis is caused by a particular type of bacteria (anaerobic bacteria) found on the soft tissues of the mouth – mainly on the back of the tongue. These bacteria thrive under a blanket of mucous where they produce the sulfur gases that cause breath odor. No drugstore mouthwash can eliminate these bacteria and toothbrushes are of little value in removing them.
Why doesn’t everyone have halitosis?
Studies of halitosis show us that some people have substantially more of these bad breath bacteria than others; no one knows why. But we do know that at least fifty million people in America have some degree of halitosis and suffer the embarrassment of bad breath.
Are conventional halitosis remedies effective?
Conventional halitosis remedies including mouthwashes, breath mints and sprays only temporarily mask bad breath odor – they do not address the root cause. Common mouthwashes are a particularly ineffective means of dealing with chronic halitosis. They merely mask the problem for a brief time, but do not eliminate the source.
What about tooth brushing and tongue cleaning?
Tooth brushing, while essential to maintaining a healthy mouth and fresh breath, is not an effective treatment for chronic odor because the brush does not reach the back of the tongue where the main odor-causing bacteria reside. Tongue cleaning is a more effective way to reach these areas and will temporarily alleviate bad breath. However, the underlying problem still remains – odor-causing bacteria that build and rebuild on the back of the tongue.
Why is ProFresh® different from other halitosis remedies?
The ProFresh® Breath Care System (link to About ProFresh) is different from other bad breath remedies because it was developed by Dr. Jon L. Richter, (link to bio) D.M.D., Ph.D. from his successful clinical treatment program. It is unique because it is the only patented oral rinse that contains active chlorine dioxide (link to Chlorine Dioxide Mouthwash page) which eliminates the odor causing bacteria in the mouth. The U.S. Patent awarded to Dr. Richter excludes all other halitosis products from containing any more than 0.0003% of chlorine dioxide. ProFresh has been proven 99% effective in clinical studies. It is safe and non-toxic.(link to Lab Report on Safety page) Unlike many common mouthwashes, ProFresh is non-alcoholic. Alcohol dries the mouth and can actually contribute to bad breath.
What about “stabilized chlorine dioxide” mouthwash?
Because it is a chemical precursor of chlorine dioxide, sodium chlorite is also called “stabilized chlorine dioxide” despite the fact that it contains no chlorine dioxide at all. Halitosis remedies using “stabilized chlorine dioxide” such as TheraBreath®, Oxyfresh® and CloSYSII® are marketed with claims as though they contain chlorine dioxide although they do not.
Some key facts about halitosis:
- Halitosis rarely originates in the stomach, throat, nose or sinuses as many people believe. Air released from the nose of a person with bad breath does not have an offensive odor. In 95% of cases, the primary causes of bad breath are found in the mouth.
- Surveys confirm that people form negative images of people with bad breath. Halitosis causes a serious social handicap; it impairs social, sexual and occupational interactions.
- Healthy teeth and gums are a key component in maintaining fresh breath. Regular, competent dental care is important because it helps to control the bacteria that cause halitosis.
- If you suddenly have halitosis which is growing noticeably worse or is coupled with fever, cough, or other symptoms you should seek medical advice.
- Some of the foods we eat can contribute to bad breath including garlic, onions, alcohol, hot peppers or aromatic spices. The affects can last up to 72 hours after ingestion. This type of bad breath cannot be eliminated by any known treatment or product.
ProFresh is the only breath product that contains active chlorine dioxide which has been clinically proven to eliminate the odor-causing bacteria found on the back of the tongue.